|2.||I Heard The Lonesome Whistle Blow (Apparat rmx)|
|4.||Outside On A Cold Day|
|5.||Outside On A Cold Day|
|11.||Picnic On A Minefield|
|14.||If Time Was On My Side|
|15.||Viscosity (DJ Flush rmx)|
|18.||Brother Of Sleep|
|25.||Westen (AG Penthouse rmx)|
I had a dream …
Get ready for a whiff of nostalgia from the Shitkatapult crew – who, when, where and why? They had a dream of music, freedom and adventure: let’s start a label, a music hub, a base, a platform!
From the wisp of a dream to tangible reality: while Stormbow, the rock band of Marco Haas (aka T.Raumschmiere) served as a precursor, Strike 01 started the label’s new countdown. A collection of friends and colleagues, “Cozmic Suckers (vol. orange)” hurled SHITKATAPULT into the world with a bang, gritty crackles, expansive sounds, cool experiments and warm, optimistic boldness for the floor, the bedroom and everything in-between.
Pan, zoom, cut: eleven years and a cool 100 releases down the line, Shitkatapult celebrates its adrenaline-soaked anniversary with “V.A. – Strike 100”. Available on double CD and triple vinyl, the compilation takes the label back to its dreamy vision, a spiky, feverish, beautiful thicket, and throws together 25 “listening/electronica/ambient” highlights not a million miles away from, say, a Weimarian or Leningrad master class of electronic music. An FBI of beauty and honesty. While the majority of tracks are exclusives for this special occasion (The Orb, T.Raumschmiere etc.), some were culled from previous records (Soap&Skin, Das Bierbeben, Judith Juillerat) or dug up and licensed from the classics vault for an overall oeuvre of unrivalled proportions:
Take Apparat’s stunning Johnny Cash remix, for example, or Bus reworked by AG Penthouse or Julia Hummer’s heart-wrenching collaboration with Pluramon, „If Time Was On My Side”, an apt motto for the assembled artists, dedicated to music despite all odds. But why do it? Because it makes sense, say the wistful woods of this record, caught in the delicious delusion of elves and fly agaric …
Bianca Strauch’s exceptional – and exceptionally fitting – cover art creates the right setting for Simona Danciu’s beautiful woodland image, the winning entry of the following competition: “Dear fans, please mail us an image for Strike 100. Send us your dreams, just like we will continue to send you ours. Dito, dato, daditivo – it will always go on.”
So, let’s turn to the assembled artists, all of them very dear friends …
- Marco Haas (and friends) founded the label in 1997. He is still on board, kicking up a storm as T.Raumschmiere and gracing this compilation with a brand new track from his Random Noize Ambient Sessions: LASS KNATTERN.
- APPARAT counts among Berlin’s most successful producers – eager to get a slice of his talent, Compadre Records asked him for a remix of JOHNNY CASH’s Sun Records period. Now, they have returned the favour and made this dream available to us – we’re all great fans of the country icon!
- Best known for his work with Sun Electric (together with Max Loderbauer), TOM THIEL also shares stages and recording studios with Daniel Meteo – their Bus has stopped at many albums and 12“es. LAISSEZ FAIRE marks one of Thiel’s rare solo outings – why so few? Give us more of this great stuff! The third track in, LAISSEZ FAIRE really opens up the depth, the deep, dark, amazing woodlands of Strike 100.
- FELIX aka Scapegoat or Donna K is a producer, sound engineer and an old friend of the label. In late 2008, he released his debut, the spellbinding Bad Ideas 12”, on sister label Meteosound. His compilation track OUTSIDE ON A COLD DAY breathes spiky chill and exposes everything: breath, air and lungs. Let’s take another mushroom.
- ISMAEL PINKLER´s ESCAPISMO sneaks away from the narrow spheres we call genres to spread the good news of a new (musical) existence. February 2009 will see the debut release of this talented Argentinean on Meteosound. Takes us down, Ismael.
- DELIRIUM, a daring taster of DAS BIERBEBEN’s upcoming album, was remixed by Marco Haas – a sure-fire hit.
- Thomas Fehlmann and Alex Paterson have been friends of SHITKATAPULT from day one – so let’s hear it for OOPA, an ambient marvel by Paterson’s band THE ORB.
- KERO, a long time label staple, brings Detroit to the mix with his frozen rendition of the motor city’s darkest sides.
- BEN LAUBER is DIE SEELE (the soul) on drums in T.Raumschmiere’s band – and one of the best. When he ditches the sticks for a moment or two, he takes his talents to Moses Schneider’s Berlin recording studio or works as an arranger. Or he makes his own music, music with depth and soul, music we crave with desperation.
- JUDITH JUILLERAT released her debut on SHITKATAPULT. Now she takes it all a step further with her latest, BO-PEEP.
- Can you make out the cello, crackling in the back? Berlin arts collective WARREN SUICIDE treats us to an unbeaten – and unbeatable – chunk of art.
- A short interlude by DANIEL METEO and a tribute to the STRIKE 100 artwork.
- The live remixes of his Tierbeobachtungen album only received a digital release. Now, finally, out on vinyl/CD, we can enjoy and cherish the wonderful FRANK BRETSCHNEIDER version of HAPPENING TONE.
- I am in love with JULIA HUMMER: her track IF TIME WAS ON MY SIDE, which also graces the current PLURAMON album, is songwriting at its most profound.
- KRATER hail from the treasured Klitekture periphery, best known for their amazing piped songs from the Canary Islands. Translated to the piano, we get their magic in remix form courtesy of SHITKATAPULT and MUSICK resident DJ FLUSH.
- SCHIERES is the better half of SHRUBBN!! (with T.Raumschmiere) and Hanseatic to the core. Space (ALL) is his home.
- Chris Douglas aka O.S.T. also moonlights as DALGLISH and pursues his own stony path of disturbing ambient music. He also tweaked the soundtrack to Berlin video collective Transforma’s Synken film.
- Anja Plaschg, the latest bright star in the sky above Vienna, gave SHITKATAPULT a pre-release outtake of her upcoming album on PIAS: BROTHER OF SLEEP. Incidentally, SHITKATAPULT was the first label to release a track by her project SOAP AND SKIN – we’re still proud and glowing. So, respect and carry on, Anja.
- This demo by debutant RICHARD LAUTENSCHLÄGER warms and masters all hearts and classes. A melody without equal or blockbuster flirtations.
- ANAPHIE is a project by T.Raumschmiere’s guitarist Andy Paruschke.
- With this cool choice of title, Schieres and T.Raumschmiere prove once again that it’s not just about the dancefloor, but also about deepness.
- One of the original roster, FENIN has been an integral and essential part of the SHITKATAPULT family since the early days. Here, his LASTKAHN chugs along for all its pondering worth.
- PETER GRUMMICH needs no introduction – it’s all in his name. Or in the poisonous, seductive rain of his compilation track SOLARAIN.
- Gothenburg laggard ANDERS ILAR adds a further old school resident to the STRIKE 100 line-up – and a magical moment to the choreography with his personal LULLABY.
- A good seven years ago, Tom Thiel and Daniel Meteo released their WESTEN-EP, which struck the scene like the proverbial bomb. Remixed and prettified by Jörg Burger and Stefan Schwandler, it brings this friends&family fest to a cool and comforting close.